This Jamaican Beef Patty recipe is one that you can try in the quiet of your own home and use as a tasty treat for when you entertain guests.
This recipe is by no means affiliated with the great Jamaican patty company (Tastee) recipe, but it is a sure way of having your patty and eating it too when you have no Tastee around.
Now, you may alter this Jamaican beef patty recipe as you wish, but I recommend that you try it as is first and let me know the outcome with any suggestions for the other viewers' pleasure.
Remember, we are here to share with each other the rich taste of Jamaican flavours.
So without further delay, here is your great tasting Jamaican patty recipe:
1. Grind escallion and hot peppers in a mincing mill.
2. Add to ground beef with salt.
3. Place meat in a saucepan making a well in the center, then place four (4) sprigs of thyme.
4. Cook without adding any water or fat until meat has lost its broth and only certain amount of oil remains.
5. Pour off excess oil and add this to the paprika to be used later on, strained for coloring meat.
6. While meat is being cooked, pour sufficient cold water over bread in a saucepan to cover and soak for a few minutes, then squeeze dry, saving water.
7. Pass bread through mincing mill and return the ground bread water with 4 sprigs of thyme and cook until bread is dry.
8. Combine meat and cooked bread.
9. Add color, paprika in sufficient quantity to color the meat to taste.
10. Cook together for a further 20 minutes.
11. Add Accent, remove from fire and cool for filling pastry circles.
Now that you have prepared the filling for your Jamaican Beef Patty, here are the ingredients and the easy to follow method for preparing the pastry/crust.
1. Trim all skin and fatty membrane from the suet and set overnight in freezer.
2. Next day, with a very sharp knife shave suet as finely as possible.
3. Combine salt and flour, then work in suet as you would work in shortening in plain pastry, cutting it in with two knives.
4. Add iced water in sufficient amount to have a dough which can be rolled out.
5. Form into a ball and with a rolling pin, pat gently, turning the dough over once or twice in order to have it all properly held together.
6. Set overnight wrapped in wax paper in freezer.
7. Next day, pull off enough dough (after defrosting) to roll into a circle the size of a breakfast saucer.
8. Dip dough in flour before rolling.
9. Roll quite thin and cut in a circle. (you may use a saucer for help with the circle cutting)
10. In the center of each circle place a spoonful of meat and fold the dough over to form a crescent shape.
11. Seal the edges with egg white or by crimping the edge and folding the dough slightly under.
12. Do not prick the pastry.
13. Bake on ungreased tin sheet in a hot oven for about 35 minutes.
This Jamaican beef patty recipe will make about 3 dozen regular patties. If cocktail patties are your preferred desire, just use a smaller cutter than a saucer.
You may also try different fillings for your experiment.
Feb 24, 16 04:49 PM
Get in touch with Ricardo, owner of Jamaica-Land-We-Love.com and leave comments or ask questions as you wish.
Nov 18, 15 04:33 PM
Jamaica Land We Love Amazon Store has only things relating to Jamaica and things Jamaican.
Jul 20, 15 05:13 PM
Jamaican recipes are easy and fun to try. They are also delicious. Get your cooking on with these delectable recipes, Jamaican style.