This Jamaican Irish Moss Recipe is a long-standing recipe that has been used on many occasions as either and additive to other drinks or just as a smooth, relaxing beverage of choice of many Jamaicans.
The scientific name for Irish Moss, as we Jamaicans call it, is Gracilaria. It is a genus of red algae notable for its economic importance as an agarophyte, as well as its use for humans and other species of shellfish.
Now taking back to the Jamaican simplified explanation, the Irish Moss is a seaweed that was original found near Ireland, hence the name. The Irish consumed Irish moss during the famine of the 19th century in Ireland.
Currently, the seaweed grows on rocks in Jamaica. Irish migrants to Jamaica brought the tradition of the Irish Moss to Jamaica.
It is one of Jamaica’s most notorious drinks among men (and some women) who seek “vigor”. It is believed “to put lead in your pencil “, “put it back” and boost energy that will lead to an increased libido. It is also used by many as a herbal medicine.
1. Wash the Irish Moss to remove sand and other matter.
2. Place the Irish Moss in water overnight. One part Irish moss to two parts water. (Optionally can cook right away however you will have to cook it longer)
3. Place 5 quarts of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
4. Add the Irish Moss, gum arabic, isinglass, and linseed.
5. Cook for about 3/4 hour until all the ingredients, with the exception of the Irish Moss, has dissolved.
6. Pour the liquid into a strainer to another container.
7. Throw away the boiled Irish Moss.
8. Add the rest of the ingredients to the liquid and mix well.
9. Boil for an additional 10 minutes.
10.Let the mixture cool and then place in the refrigerator for approximately 5 hours before severing.
After following those instructions you should have yourself a great tasting Jamaican Irish Moss Drink.
When you have tried it, please feel free to share the recipe with your family and friends at home and away.
Leave a comment below as to how it worked out for you!
Jun 12, 18 02:06 PM
This Jamaican Mango Smoothie recipe can be used to make a refreshing Jamaican beverage that will tantalize your taste buds and keep you cool all at the same time.
May 12, 17 06:57 PM
Jamaican music has evolved in such a dynamic way that we have to endorse what the legend Bob Marley said...When it hits you, you feel no pain...
May 12, 17 06:19 PM
Jamaican dancehall music was developed in the 1980's and is the pinnacle of the music industry we are now experiencing with constant changes in sound derived from earlier genres.