Following this Jamaican rice and peas recipe is easy.
Anybody that can read will be able to follow the step by step instructions and the end result will be well worth the effort.
Many Jamaicans cannot cook a decent pot of rice and peas and if you are not a Jamaican and you follow this recipe, then you will be way ahead of some of the nationals that have never even tried.
We locals say rice and peas, but the foreigners say rice and kidney beans. No big deal, because it is the same thing.
So go ahead and give this Jamaican Rice and Peas Recipe a try. You will be happy you did and you will want to do it on a more regular basis.
1. Wash peas and remove any foreign matter, such as stones, if present. Wash escallion and remove only the outer layer.
2. Add the peas and the salt to the water and boil the peas in a 2-quart stock pot , on medium heat, until they are medium soft.
3. The water will evaporate during the boiling process and you will need to add water. In this case, be sure to add warm water (not room temperature or cold water) to the pot.
Tip: Here is the trick to making this rice and peas nice and "shelly" (flaky):
As you may know, rice is usually cooked using a two-to-one ratio. That is, two equal parts of water to one part of rice, or as close to it as possible.
So...continuing with the method...
4. Add the coconut milk, thyme and escallion to the already cooked peas (kidney beans) and let this combination boil for about 5 minutes, then taste the ingredients of the pot. Add more salt to taste is necessary.
5. Estimate the amount of water in the pot to the ratio of the rice you have. Try to get a two to one ratio or as close to it as possible. Or try to have just about an inch of water above the rice after you have added the rice.
6. Add the rice to the ingredients and stir, using a fork.
7. Add the margarine to the rice and peas and then reduce to a low heat.
8. Wait until the boiling water in the pot sinks just below the top of the rice then wet a piece of cellophane (or plastic bag) and cover the rice then cover the pot with the pot cover.
9. Simmer until rice is cooked, soft and shelly.
Cook's Note: This is if you are making rice & peas from “scratch”, as everyone would say. Meaning, making it with ALL raw materials at the beginning.
However, you can use canned red kidney beans if you would like to as this will make the process even shorter because you would not need to cook the canned red beans for any long length of time either!
You may experiment with this recipe in any way that you like. For instance, the coconut milk can and may be omitted from this dish. It will taste just as good, but it tastes even better WITH the coconut milk. I have tried it without the milk and it was great.
On another note, if you want a true spicy Jamaican Rice and Peas flavor, just add a Scotch Bonnet Pepper to the pot the same time you are putting in the escallion and thyme. Your taste buds will love you for that extra flavour.
Now, go ahead and give this Jamaican Rice and Peas Recipe your best effort and see how it turns out to the liking of either you alone or you and your family!!
Feb 24, 16 04:49 PM
Get in touch with Ricardo, owner of Jamaica-Land-We-Love.com and leave comments or ask questions as you wish.
Nov 18, 15 04:33 PM
Jamaica Land We Love Amazon Store has only things relating to Jamaica and things Jamaican.
Jul 20, 15 05:13 PM
Jamaican recipes are easy and fun to try. They are also delicious. Get your cooking on with these delectable recipes, Jamaican style.