Jamaican Pumpkin rice is one of the quickest, easiest, and tastiest rice meal you can make.
To add a little fun and flavour to the pot, just add some saltfish (codfish) and you will end up with a delicious one-pot dish that you can make anytime of day during any season of the year.
It is also economical because all the ingredients are relatively affordable.
It is said that this pumpkin rice and saltfish recipe is usually done on a "lazy day" when no one is in the mood to cook a big complicated meal.
So if you are in that "lazy" frame of mind today, check out our Pumpkin Rice with Saltfish Recipe today and have yourself a great tasting one-pot meal.
1. Soak saltfish (codfish) for about 6 hours (if you have the time) or just boil for 20 minutes to remove most of the salt.
2. Drain the water and remove the saltfish (codfish) and place in a dish.
3. "Pick up" (break into small pieces and remove the bones) the saltfish (codfish) and set aside.
4. Peel the pumpkin, dice it and add it to the water and boil for about 10 minutes.
5. Add vegetable oil while boiling.
6. Cook until pumpkin is fully cooked, that is, soft or easily mashed with a fork.
7. Add rice and all the other ingredients except the scotch bonnet pepper to the pot.
8. Stir while cooking to distribute the rich orange colour of the pumpkin.
9. Add the whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper after about 20 minutes on top of the rice.
10. Steam for about 25-30 more minutes or until done.
11. Taste to ensure that the rice is seasoned and properly cooked.
Cook's Tip: If you want spicy rice, dice the Scotch Bonnet Pepper and add directly to the rice & mix.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
I hope you will enjoy using this Jamaican pumpkin Rice recipe for one of your regular easy-to-make dishes.
Apr 26, 17 04:59 PM
Jamaica is an island found in the Greater Antilles of the Caribbean with a rich culture in music, dance, food etc. Come learn more about this little island paradise!!
Feb 24, 16 04:49 PM
Get in touch with Ricardo, owner of Jamaica-Land-We-Love.com and leave comments or ask questions as you wish.
Nov 18, 15 04:33 PM
Jamaica Land We Love Amazon Store has only things relating to Jamaica and things Jamaican.