This Jamaican cornmeal porridge recipe is the most common porridge recipe in Jamaican households. The old folks call it "Pop" or "Cog."
This porridge is known as a sort of cleanser because the cornmeal is supposed to be rough enough to mildly pass through your digestive system.
Bet you didn't know that?..
Honestly, I cannot agree or disagree with this belief, because I really do not know if it is true. I never checked. Never!
How can I check though, I am not a scientist. I am only truly concerned about the taste of the porridge.
So, without further delay, here is the famous, great tasting Cornmeal Porridge Recipe, Jamaican Style:
1. Add cornmeal to a bowl, and then pour enough water into the bowl to cover the cornmeal.
2. Use a fork to mix the cornmeal in the bowl to let the water and cornmeal mix loose and watery.
3. Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan and turn the heat to medium.
4. Slowly pour the water and cornmeal into the saucepan while stirring with a fork. You will have to stir the mix continuously for about 3 minutes.
5. Make figure eight patterns if you like as this will stop the cornmeal from forming lumps.
Note: Be careful from this point on because the porridge will splash and burn your hand if the heat is too high.
6. Turn the flame down even more if the splashes from the pot become large.
7. Cover the pot and let simmer for about twenty minutes and occasionally stir the mixture in the pot.
8. Turn off the flame but do not remove the pot from the stove.
9. Now add all the remaining ingredients, except the nutmeg.
10. Stir to sweeten this Jamaican porridge and then taste it.
11. Add more ingredients of your choice to get the desired taste.
12. Serve in small bowls and sprinkle with the ground nutmeg.
Note: If you are not able to digest milk (lactose intolerant) you could substitute soy milk for regular milk in this Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge.
If you would like to go strictly "Ital" with this porridge, you know, the real Rasta man style, then you can remove the sugar, ground cinnamon, and all milk products.
Replace the milk and half & half with coconut milk, the sugar with honey, and the ground cinnamon with cinnamon leaves. These are suggested substitutes!
Note though that this "Ital" Cornmeal Porridge will taste a little bit different from the real flavoured, regular type. So make your adjustments carefully.
Whatever your choice for this Jamaican cornmeal porridge recipe though, ENJOY!!
Apr 26, 17 04:59 PM
Jamaica is an island found in the Greater Antilles of the Caribbean with a rich culture in music, dance, food etc. Come learn more about this little island paradise!!
Feb 24, 16 04:49 PM
Get in touch with Ricardo, owner of Jamaica-Land-We-Love.com and leave comments or ask questions as you wish.
Nov 18, 15 04:33 PM
Jamaica Land We Love Amazon Store has only things relating to Jamaica and things Jamaican.